Brown Memorial Camp is operated by the Coronado Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, and is used mainly for adult training programs and Cub Scout outdoor programs. The camp is located in Browns Park, south of Abilene, and was originally opened in 1927.
BG Consultants was contracted to design a new firing range for BB guns and archery to replace an older range area not ideally located within the camp complex. Brown’s Old Fort provides room for eight BB gun firing points and eight archery firing points under a roof structure, with enclosed storage rooms for equipment at both ends of the 16 by 120 foot facility. Located above the end storage rooms are towers for observation, with views all around the range and to other activity areas within the camp. The north end of the range is protected with a dense grove of trees, and the south façade is designed with rough sawn wood to resemble an old time fort.
Concurrent projects at Camp Brown include the Upper Meadows Restroom Facility, limestone pedestrian bridge to the Order of the Arrow campfire ring, and an accessible Staff Cabin to accommodate eight adults. All improvements have been designed by BG Consultants.